0

Hammond Quarry Walk Saturday November 26th, 1:00 p.m.

Posted November 23rd, 2016 in Uncategorized by Charles Radville

Join the Mattapoisett Land Trust (MLT) for a short walk to the former granite quarry that was an important part of the Town’s history and early industry. Owned primarily by the Hammond family, the quarry operated from the early 1700’s until the early 1900’s and produced pink granite for which Mattapoisett was well known in early times. Mattapoisett pink granite was used to construct our town wharves as well as curbstones, foundation stones, boundary markers, millstones, and other cut granite seen throughout Old Rochester and also was shipped to Nantucket and elsewhere during Colonial times. The quarry site includes one remaining granite outcrop and two abandoned pits: the larger and dry East Pit and the smaller West Pit that holds water. In addition there are large amounts of worked granite rubble as well as some abandoned quarry equipment in and around the pits.

MLT is working with the Buzzards Bay Coalition, Mattapoisett Historical Society and other organizations to preserve 53 acres surrounding the quarry site. Come join us and see this special place! The walk will depart across the road from 7 and 9 Mattapoisett Neck Road, just south of Route 6. Please park on the west side of Mattapoisett Neck Road. The trail is gentle but wear sturdy shoes and dress for the weather.

For more information, please email us at info@mattlandtrust.org.
IMG 0580 600pixel wide Hammond Quarry Walk Saturday November 26th, 1:00 p.m.

Leave a Reply