0

Hammond Quarry Walk, Sunday July 23rd, 1:00 p.m.

Posted July 11th, 2017 in Uncategorized by Charles Radville

Join the Mattapoisett Land Trust (MLT) for a guided walk to the former granite
quarry that was an important part of the Town’s history and early industry.
Owned primarily by the Hammond family, the quarry operated from the early
1700’s until the early 1900’s and produced pink granite for which Mattapoisett
was well known in early times. The quarry site includes one remaining granite
outcrop and two abandoned pits: the larger and dry East Pit and the smaller West
Pit that holds water.
MLT is working with the Buzzards Bay Coalition to preserve 53 acres surrounding
the quarry site. Over 200 town residents have visited the site to date. Come join
us and see this special place!
The walk will depart across the road from 7 and 9 Mattapoisett Neck Road,
just south of Route 6. Please park on the west side of Mattapoisett Neck
Road. The trail is gentle but wear sturdy shoes and dress for the weather.
For more information, please email us at info@mattlandtrust.org

Leave a Reply