Hammond Quarry Walk, Sunday September 3rd, 1:00 p.m.

Posted August 23rd, 2017 in Conservation, Event by Charles Radville

Join the Mattapoisett Land Trust (MLT) for a guided walk to the former granite quarry that was an important part of the Town’s history and early industry.

Owned primarily by the Hammond family, the quarry operated from the early 1700’s until the early 1900’s and produced pink granite for which Mattapoisett was well known in early times. The quarry site includes one remaining granite outcrop and two abandoned pits: the larger and dry East Pit and the smaller West Pit that holds water.

MLT is working with the Buzzards Bay Coalition to preserve 53 acres surrounding the quarry site. Over 250 town residents and visitors have visited the site to date.

Come join us and see this special place!

The walk will depart across the road from 7 and 9 Mattapoisett Neck Road, just south of Route 6. Please park on the west side of Mattapoisett Neck Road.

The trail is gentle but wear sturdy shoes and dress for the weather.

For more information, please email us at info@mattlandtrust.org

Leave a Reply