Blanche B. Perry Scholarship
MATTAPOISETT LAND TRUST OFFERS FOURTH ANNUAL SCHOLARSHIP
Since the Pell Grant Award has been eliminated and student loan debt increases, the new generation of America’s college bound students is even more dependent on private foundations and financial aid to cover their college costs.
For the fourth year in a row, the Mattapoisett Land Trust will select a qualifying candidate for the $1000.00 Blanche B. Perry Scholarship Award. This award is available to a Mattapoisett resident senior graduating by June 2013, from secondary school and pursuing an education in the sciences and/or environmental studies or a related field.
The scholarship is made available through the Edith Glick Shoolman fund, a bequest left to provide support for children in the community. The scholarship is consistent with the Mattapoisett Land Trust mission of preserving land in order to enrich the quality of life for present and future generations of Mattapoisett residents and visitors and of furthering environmental education in the community.
Along with the application, the following additional information is required:
1. A Personal Statement about career goals as they relate to the mission of the MLT, past and present.
2. A signed Community Service Form documenting a minimum of 20 hours of community service.
3. Professional letter of reference (teacher or guidance counselor)
4. A Character letter of reference from an employer, scout or community leader and or neighbor is required.
5. Official school transcript including credits and class rank.
The application forms will be found in the guidance offices at the local public and private schools or at the Mattapoisett Land Trust Scholarship page
Schools participating are:
1. ORRHS Marion Road, Mattapoisett 02739
2. Bishop Stang High School, 500 Slocum Rd, N. Dartmouth 02747
3. OCRVT High School, 476 North Avenue, Rochester MA 02770
4. Tabor Academy, Front St Marion, MA 02738
The deadline for submitting the forms will be April 23, 2013
Applicants will be assessed according to academic achievement, pursuit of education in the sciences, and or environmental studies or a related field, personal statement, professional and personal references, community service, and financial need. Preference will be given to individuals who are members of the Mattapoisett Land Trust or whose parents or grandparents are members of the MLT.
The recipient will be selected by May 16, 2013 and will be notified by mail. The recipient will be recognized at his or her school’s awards ceremony. The award will be disbursed after the student submits an official college transcript documenting successful completion of his or her first semester in college to the President of the Mattapoisett Land Trust
For more information contact the MLT at:
Mattapoisett Land Trust
ATTN: Education Committee
P.O. Box 31
Mattapoisett, MA 02739
or by email at: email@example.com